Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Am Not The Center Of The Universe...

Uhhh.... So why do I act like I am most of the time?? The older I get it seems I am more self aware. Now that is not to say I am successful at making changes to the not-so-good stuff I am aware of about myself.

Lately, I have been reflecting quite a bit on my life these past few years. It's funny I never really believed I was self-centered or selfish. But I don't know that I ever really gave it much thought... maybe in passing. Now, I am seeing more and more just how guilty I am though. I mean, always thinking about my own little corner of the world, mostly focusing on what I need, want, etc. Not really taking part in anything that focuses on others or other needs. It really bothers me now just how much of this attitude I see in the reflection staring back at me.

During the daily grind I think we lose sight of things like this in ourselves. As a society, we're so focused on material possessions, success, personal accomplisments, our own relationships and packing in as much as we can in every second that we forget we were really created for something WAY beyond ourselves and our little pieces of the universe.

If we are Christians especially, we have a purpose and responsibility that goes so far beyond our own wants, needs and desires. We are to be becoming more like Jesus and growing in our relationship with Him. To me, a part of this purpose and responsibility means we should be looking outside our circle to what is needed in our communities and the world. No, we all can't be world or life changers but we can make small differences that to some seem like life changers.

We can sit with the little old lady in the nursing home with no family or anyone to visit. We can smile and speak to the sad or worried face in the banks, malls, check out lines and doorways that we have the opportunity to see every day. We can give to families in need. We can spend quality time with a child. We can write an encouraging word to someone, family, friend or acquaintance. So many little things we could do somehow, some way every day that would help and/or train us to take the focus off of ourselves and tune in to others.

Of course, I am saying all this to myself most of all because I have truly lost sight of it all. I still have moments I grab hold of it and make a small difference, but for me it should be foremost in daily life to truly be satisfied and content.

So, if you are stopping by today and you have any good ideas or suggestions or advice on overcoming self-centeredness or any suggestions on those little random acts that could make a difference, I would really love to hear what you think.

Thanks again for visiting and come back soon!

No comments: